In December 2020 Blue Patch made a formal commitment to reach Net Zero by 2030, supporting the Race to Zero!
We focus on five key areas
- Reducing the carbon footprint of the bluepatch.org platform
- Providing free training for business members to audit and reduce their carbon emissions
- Supporting collaboration and resource sharing between business members
- Providing consumers and businesses free access to sustainable products, services and information
- Using 100% of Blue Patch’s revenue to benefit society and the environment
In the first quarter of 2023 we begun recording our baseline year for Scope 1 and 2. We aim for Blue Patch to be Net Zero by 2030.
Carbon auditing and impact reporting
In 2022 Blue Patch introduced LET’S DO NET ZER0, a free programme to help members to audit and reduce carbon emissions, using Compare Your Footprint, a carbon calculator.
Environmental and Social impact links, activated from Blue Patch micro sites, link directly to members’ impact reports, hosted on their own websites. This is a new development and we are working with members to activate these links.
Website hosting with Green Geeks
The bluepatch.org website is hosted on Green Geeks. The Bonneville Environmental Foundation (BEF) in Portland, Oregon offset Green Geek’s carbon footprint. Then BEF purchase 3 times more renewable energy certificates (REC) than the company has consumed in a single year. This energy is put back into the grid.
Bluepatch.org is proud to have joined Business Declares the fast-growing network of businesses who acknowledge the Climate and Ecological Emergency. Concern for both people and the planet are not new to us and we look forward to continuing to share our journey and ensuring our voice is part of the collective, resounding call for change. We are certainly not claiming to be perfect, neither are we judging others, instead we are part of a coalition of the willing looking to collaborate and accelerate action while continuing to highlight the challenges and uncomfortable truths.
Blue Patch’s sustainable mini-guide Positive Shopping is printed in the UK on FSC Mix accredited paper.
Our product swing tags are plastic-free on FSC recycled paper using eco-print and are printed in the UK.
For our events we encourage low carbon logistics. Ideally using public transport. We use plastic-free plant-based paint, reusable and plastic free signage and recycled plinths for exhibitions.
Blue Patch’s office runs on Good Energy, which is 100% renewable energy. We use LED lighting and a recycling policy is in place. The team local to Blue Patch HQ walk or cycle to work. The non-local team connect via zoom.
- Be Net Zero by 2030
- Retrofit Blue Patch HQ
- Upgrade our office technology to be more energy efficient
- To source an electric car when it’s not viable to use public transport
Our Business Mission
We want to help the UK become a low-carbon, net zero nation.
100% of our surplus income is invested into community owned renewable energy projects.
- 2019: Brighton Energy Coop
- 2020: Low Carbon Hub, Oxford
- 2021: EGNI Co-op, Swansea
- 2021: Glasgow Community Energy
- 2021 : SE24 Sustainable Energy, London
- 2022 : Energy Garden, London
- 2022 : Bristol Energy Coop
- 2022 : Solar for Schools, Essex
- 2023 : Gawcott Fields Solar, Buckinghamshire, England
We select our members based on their commitment to supporting the environment and local communities. We celebrate members achievements in reducing emissions.
We help customers to source and shop locally and sustainably through our sustainable business directory.
Our Journal shares tips, stories and features on all aspects of sustainability from how to retrofit to plastic-free shopping guides.